What We Do
The Society is the latest in a series of accomplishments and ongoing initiatives that have been in development for over 5 years. These include:
- War of 1812 200th Anniversary Celebration
- Market Square Historic District
- Blach Rock Historic Photo Project
- Exhibit panels featuring Market Square, War of 1812, Growth of Railroads, the Erie Canal, and the Black Rock Lock
- Black Rock Trail Brochures for walking or biking
- Black Rock Heritage Mural at Tonawanda and Amherst Streets
- 19 Historic Markers and Interpretive Signage
- War of 1812 Speaker Series at The Buffalo History Museum
- War of 1812 Commemorations: Flames Across Niagara, Stars Along Scajaquada, and Commemorating the Battle of Scajaquada Creek Bridge
- Black Rock & Erie Canal Coloring Books
- Exhibit Re-Design
The BRHS has 20 portable exhibits that travel to Libraries and Community Events. Subjects include: The Erie Canal, The Railroad, Historic Market Square, The War of 1812, and The Black Rock Lock.
If you would like any of our exhibits displayed at your event, email us at [email protected].
Donate & Preserve Your History
The Black Rock Historical Society has been acquiring a significant collection of artifacts, which are preserved for future generations to enjoy and learn about Black Rock, Riverside, West Hertel, and Grant Amherst areas in the City of Buffalo, NY. Photographs, books, currency/coins, textiles, tools, furniture, religious and domestic items, local industrial or business memorabilia and historical documents are items that reflect the rich culture and heritage of the area.
If you have something you would like to donate to our collection, a form can be printed and mailed or brought in to our office, or completed and submitted online. You will then be contacted by us and an appointment will be set up to bring your item/items to the museum. We appreciate and value any item that will add to the development of our collection.